Welcome to MadWine. Please Sign In
Baked Stuffed Shells
This comfort food is always a hit, for parties or an intimate dinner.
Pair any of these wines with the Baked Stuffed Shells for a no-brainer warm night.
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- 1 lb diced mushrooms
- 1-2 tblsp olive oil
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 2 strips bacon slightly crispy
- 16 oz ricotta cheese
- 1 lb jumbo pasta shells (cooked just short of al dente, salt lightly to taste)
- 1 24-26 oz can of a good brand of marinara sauce (or do it the homemade way)
- 16 oz mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Brown 3 medium onions in olive oil. Add diced mushrooms and brown slightly. Add splash of red wine to deglaze (pan should be hot) and soy sauce. Season with black pepper. When liquid is reduced in 1/2, remove from heat. Crumble in slightly-undercooked bacon. Cool a bit, then mix with ricotta cheese. Mixture should look fairly brown.
- Cook jumbo pasta shells until just short of al dente (do not overcook). Use cold water to cool and use the pasta right away so it doesn't stick together. Use a spoon or pastry bag to fill shells (or put the mixture into a sandwich bag, cut off the corner, and squeeze it through the corner into the shells.
- Coat a baking dish with a thin layer of marinara sauce and place the filled shells face-down in the pan, in one layer. Spoon another layer of sauce over the shells and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake at 350 until the cheese is melted (about 15-20 minutes).
- Optional: top with shredded parmesan cheese just before removing from the oven.
- Serve hot.
Contributed by Emily Pfeiffer